Share This Article
Swing Trading Strategies is a strategy that focuses on taking smaller gains in short-term trends and cutting losses quicker. The payments might be smaller, but if done consistently over time, they can compound into excellent annual returns.
Swing Trading positions are usually held for a few days to a couple of weeks but can be kept longer. The swing trader aims to capture a share of any prospective “swing” in the marketplace. This plan is a great way to understand market movements and dip your toe into technical analysis.
Single gains may be smaller as the trader focuses on short-term trends and seeks to cut losses quickly. However, minor improvements achieved consistently over time can add up to an attractive annual return.
Kinds of Swing Trading Strategies
Below we outline three swing trading strategies to consider using in 2023:
- Trend Trading
One of the easy-to-follow swing trading strategies for beginners is trend trading.
- When identifying a trend, it’s essential to recognize that markets don’t tend to move in a straight line. Even following a trend, they move up and down in step-like moves.
- We recognize an uptrend by the market setting higher highs and higher lows and a downtrend by identifying lower lows and lower highs.
In other words we:
- Look for a trend
- Wait for a countertrend
- Enter the market after we see the countertrend has done its role.
One version of this strategy would run the trend for as long as we can. Why not? In this version of the policy, we do not set a limit. We don’t know how lengthy the trend might continue, and we don’t know how high the market can go. So, we will not try to predict by setting a price goal.
But that could be more than riding a trend for longer. You have to wait, detect and let the market move unfavorably to an approximate degree. It also means that when the trend breakdowns, you will have to give back some of your unrealized returns before concluding.
- Countertrend Trading
- This next swing trading strategy is contrary to the first one. We use similar principles to spot relatively short-term trends but now try to profit from the frequency with which these trends tend to break down.
- We previously saw how an early part of a trend could be followed by a retracement period before the trend resumes. A countertrend swing trader would try to catch the swing in this reversal period.
- When countertrending, it is essential to retain challenging discipline if the value moves contrary to yours. If the market continues its trend against you, you must be ready to confess you were wrong, exit the market and draw a line under the trade.
- Moving Average Swing Trading Strategy
In the chart beneath, the red and green lines are both Moving Average Indicators (MAs):
- The red line signifies a simple moving average of 25 periods.
- The green line means a simple moving average of 100 periods.
The technique we are using to identify market movement utilizes both moving averages. With this indicator as our swing trading plan response signal, we use a stop loss and take earnings.
- When the red line cross the green line, it advises that we can see a price alteration in the direction of the intersection, and it is our indication to enter the market in the order of the price change.
- In the graph above, the shorter red Moving Average crosses the longer green Moving Average on three occasions, all highlighted by red vertical lines.
- It is vital to bear in mind that, with this swing trading strategy, the trend will start before we receive our signal due to the lagging nature of the Moving Average.
- Fibonacci Retracement Strategy
- Traders worldwide use Fibonacci retracement tools to find a level to get involved in the market. The three most common levels are 38.2%, 50%, etc.
- It is to be noted that these ratios are not to the point. They are overall regions. With that in mind, traders will typically use their favorite candlestick design at these levels to take benefit of a familiar ratio.
- It means that you regard an area that could be an exciting place to play a setback candle. While there are several candlesticks that you can use, bullish candlesticks like a hammer at the 50% Fibonacci retracement level on the weekly stock chart are something to keep an eye on if you missed the initial move.
- Regular EMA Trading Strategy
- This one is direct. You are looking for a comparatively flat exponential moving average that tells you when the market is consolidating. What you are seeing to do is buy support on the lower side and sell or short several times at resistance. It would help if you took benefit of these alliance frames because they happen all the time.
- You would offer yourself something like 1% for the halt loss, above confrontation and below provision on the daily chart. However, there is a risk of instant gaps for all swing trades, but if a stock breaks out from consolidation, the initiated move can be decisive, so an additional level of caution is required.
Instead of trading sideways markets, you can focus on momentum stocks and trending markets.
Refining Your Swing Trading Strategies
- There are many things you can try to expand your swing trading strategies. The primary goal is to try to match your trade with the long-term trend by looking at a longer-term graph—work and business only when the direction ties that of the long-term trend.
- Another way to recover your strategy is to use a secondary swing trading indicator as a filter. For example: if you are a counter-tender considering a short position, check the RSI (Relative Strength Index) and see if it signals the market as being overbought.
- A Moving Average, as we looked at earlier, is another helpful indicator you could use to help your swing trading strategy. A Moving Average smooth out prices to give a clearer view of the overall trend. Also, because a Moving Average incorporates older price data, it’s an easy way to compare current prices to older ones.
Advantages of Swing Trading Strategies
There are many advantages of swing trading, some of which we will look at below.
1.Time: Short-term trades require constant monitoring. On the other hand, long-term transactions may not be actively adequate for some people and need a lot of trading self-control. A swing trading strategy tends to plea to learners simply because it operates over a more accessible time structure.
2.Profiting From Longer Trends: While scalping and day trading relies on short-term volatility, swing trading allows traders to take advantage of longer-term trends. Analyzes achieved on bigger units of time are frequently sounder, whereas shorter-term trading is more susceptible to noise and false indications.
It means that each trade has more time to produce a profit due to transactions following longer trends upsetting prices.
3.Cost Efficiency: One of the core costs of trading is the spread or the difference between an asset’s buy and sell prices. For swing traders, the distance matters less as they place fewer trades over longer time scales. While spaces are tiny, they get indicted every time you trade and can dip into profits when dealing repeatedly.
Disadvantages of Swing Trading Strategies
There are a few disadvantages of swing trading, which we will look at below.
1. The growth of swap fees: Swaps are fees charged on CFD positions held instantaneously. While these aren’t a matter for scalpers or day traders, these fees can add up for longer-term trades.
2. Absolute risk: Economic and political events outside trading hours could impact the financial markets to disrupt a trend and negatively affect your swing trading strategy.
Swing trading Strategies are an easy way for new traders to get their feet wet in the market. The basic rule is that this capital should be money the investor can pay to lose. Even with the severest risk management, the unforeseen is always possible.
More prominently, swing trading doesn’t request the same level of active attention as day trading, so the swing trader can jump gradually and build the number of trades over time. But it does involve the investor taking a deep dive into technical analysis, so an aptitude for charts and numbers is necessary.